By Mark Doig

August Bank Holiday’s local derby between Dulwich Hamlet and Welling United produced a great away performance by the Wings.

They claimed a deserved two goal half time lead and then defended superbly in the second half.

Warren Feeney made four changes to the team defeated by Chelmsford. Ashley Barnes was brought in for his first game of the season, Chi Ezennolim and Anthony Papadopoulos were restored to the team, and Palace Francis was given his first start.

Less than two minutes were on the clock when Welling went ahead. Taylor Maloney whipped in a free kick that his former Bromley team-mate, Frankie Raymond, could only knock into his own net as Ade Azeez closed in.

It could have been two soon after. Papadopoulos found Azeez but Joe Osaghae was out sharply to make a great save. Francis led Welling’s next attack, but again Azeez was thwarted by a last-ditch block before Papadopoulos had a long range shot saved.

Barnes showed his class against his former club when making a crucial interception in the penalty area before Myles Roberts made an outstanding save from Jayden Clarke and recovered quickly to claim when it rebounded off Dan Smith.

Maloney had a shot blocked, Papadopoulos’ follow up was also charged down, and Francis’ first time effort went past the post.

Azeez, Francis and Barnes all had half chances before Roberts was again called into action to make an outstanding save from Joe Felix.

In first half injury time, Welling increased their lead. Azeez turned Quade Taylor, burst to the bye-line, and pulled it back for Amadou Kassarate and he finished emphatically.

At half time, Dulwich manager Gavin Rose made a double change which included former Wing Danny Mills and Welling were forced onto the back-foot.

Smith had a shot saved by Roberts before the Welling goalkeeper tipped over a Sam Deadfield header. Midway through the half, Dulwich pulled one back. Deadfield crossed and Mills rose high to power home a header.

Another former Welling player, George Porter, was introduced by Dulwich and Welling manager Warren Feeney reacted by beefing up his midfield by replacing Francis with Tyrique Hyde.

Porter set up Raymond, but he shot wide then Jayden Splatt, who had been fortunate to escape a second yellow card moments earlier, crossed for Felix whose shot came out off the legs of Roberts.

Roberts wasn’t troubled again as Welling’s defence held firm to repel anything else that the hosts could throw at them.

Welling United: Roberts, Barnes, Ezennolim, Dunne, Sendles-White, Parry, Kassarate, Francis (Hyde 72), Azeez, Papadopoulos (Nzala 82), Maloney (Elito 90+2). Sub not used: McKenzie, Dickens.