Welling United were left frustrated as they were forced to share the points from a goalless draw with Slough Town at Park View Road on Tuesday evening. 

Despite controlling the game from start to finish, the Wings just could not convert in the final third to find that goal to turn one point into three. 

Eight minutes were on the clock when the hosts registered the first effort on target of the evening as the returning Stefan Payne burst forwards and looked to find the bottom right-hand corner, producing an excellent save from Rhys Forster who got down well to tip it behind. 

In truth, there was very little to report in the first 45 after that opportunity as, despite the Wings controlling the game, they could not carve out key opportunities. 

Ade Azeez saw a half-chance deflect wide, while the Rebels came closest with a tame header straight at Kai McKenzie-Lyle at the other end. 

Into the second half, and Welling continued much the same, dominating proceedings but finding it difficult to unlock their opposition. 

A quick counter-attach early in the second period saw Devonte Arinsibia force Forster into a good stop from a tight angle one-on-one, while Azeez hit the outside of post when he swiped at Yaser Kasim’s pass on the edge of the box on the hour mark. 

Another swift counter resulted in Payne’s shot being blocked in the box and sub Taylor Maloney’s drive from distance stung the palms of the keeper as the Wings continued to turn the screw, but they just could not find that killer touch to claim the points. 

Welling United: McKenzie-Lyle, Cox, Nelson (Parry 58), Sendles-White, Ezennolim, Dunne, Kasim, Aransibia (Maloney 53), Elito (Simpson 72), Payne, Azeez. 

Subs (not used): Andrews, Barnes. 

Booked: Payne 90+3 (foul)

Slough Town: Forster, Jackman, Wells, Hollis, Dandy, Togwell, Matshazi, Harris (Benyon 76), Goddard (Lench 70), Hunt, Davis. 

Subs (not used): Williams, Sole, Kayani. 

Booked: Dandy 15 (foul on Aransibia), Forster 79 (time wasting)

Referee: Abigail Byrne

Att: 540