Welling United shared the spoils with Bath City from a 1-1 draw at Twerton Park on Tuesday evening. 

After a goalless first half, the Wings found themselves behind on the hour-mark, but finished the game strongly, restoring parity via a trademark Taylor Maloney strike from distance to return home from the west country with a point in tow. 

The visitors carved out the first real opening of the evening as Maloney crossed low for Stefan Payne, who turned his marker brilliantly to find himself in front of goal, but his poked effort was kept out by Romans ‘keeper Josh Gould and that would prove to be the only chance of note in the first 45. 

At the other end, Kai McKenzie-Lyle’s led a charmed first-half life, only being forced into action to make a routine stop from Dan Greenslade’s shot from all of 30 yards. 

Warren Feeney was made to shuffle his pack on the 25-minute mark when Ade Azeez with forced off with injury, replaced by Antony Papadopoulos, while Amadou Kassarate was replaced at half-time after he seemed to be struggling with a knock in the first half – he made way for Yaser Kasim. 

McKenzie-Lyle made a big save early in the second half when he stuck out a foot to keep out Dan Hayfield one-on-one after the ball had spun kindly for the Bath number eight and the hosts came close again moments later when Luke Spokes clipped the top of the crossbar with an effort from the edge of the box. 

In truth, Bath had started the second half much the better side and they got the opener on the hour mark, albeit in fortunate circumstances. 

A Romans attack was broken down well by the Wings defence, only for the ball to ricochet back off a blue shirt and straight into the path of Callum Ebanks, who was stood beyond the defensive line. With just McKenzie-Lyle to beat, he was able to complete the simple task of prodding home. 

Welling were struggling to find a way back, but suddenly sprung back into life with nine minutes left through another spectacular Maloney effort. 

The midfielder was denied a leveller from distance last time out against Weymouth, but this time his shot from distance nestled into the back of the net following good hold-up play by Medy Elito and that gave the visitors the incentive to finish strongly. 

Maloney came close again in injury-time when he saw a shot deflect narrowly wide from the edge of the box and, with the final kick of the game, Kasim came even closer when his shot very nearly snuck inside the post a the death, only for Gould to get a decisive finger on it to take it wide.

In the end, it was a solid point on the road for the Wings, who now have three days to prepare for the visit of Farnborough to Park View Road on Tuesday evening. 

Bath City: Gould, Raynes (Smith 90), Greenslade, Dyer, Parselle, Hayfield, Frear, Lines, Spokes (Morton 69), Wilson, Ebanks. 

Subs (not used): Clarke, Batten, Mannings. 

Booked: Lines 4 (foul on Kassarate), Greenslade 37 (foul on Kassarate), Hayfield 63 (foul on Maloney), Wilson 81 (dissent)

Goal: Ebanks 60

Welling United: McKenzie-Lyle, Howard (Barnes 84), Parry, Sendles-White, Ezennolim, Dunne, Kassarate (Kasim 46), Elito, Maloney, Payne, Azeez (Papadopoulos 26). 

Subs (not used): Curran, Andrews.

Booked: Payne 60 (dissent), Howard 73 (foul), Maloney 87 (foul on Raynes)

Goal: Maloney 81

Referee: Dale Wootton

Att: 774