Welling United slipped to a first defeat in four at Oxford City on Saturday. 

Despite a promising first-half showing, the Wings found themselves behind at the break and gave themselves a mountain to climb when they conceded a second moments into the second period. 

And when Taylor Maloney missed a penalty with 23 minute left on the clock, it summed up a frustrating afternoon at the RAW Charging Stadium for the men from Kent as the hosts compounded the afternoon with a third in injury time.

The home side very nearly netted an early opener with three minutes on the clock. Josh Ashby was sent into the right side of the box and the Hoops’ number four slid an effort inches past the left-hand upright from a tight angle. 

Moments later at the other end, the Wings came close themselves. George Alexander got his head on Taylor Maloney’s free-kick delivery and Oxford stopper Adnan Kanuric pulled off a great save to tip it over the bar. 

Welling had shaded things up until the half-hour mark, but it was the hosts who took the lead with 33 minutes on the clock after a rare lapse of concentration from Myles Roberts. 

The Wings’ keeper had just made a good save at his near post to keep out Coyle’s powerful effort, but moments later, he let Klaidi Lolos’ low, skidding shot from distance wriggle under him and into the net to give Oxford a narrow lead going into the break. 

In truth, the goal had come somewhat against the run of play, but Welling could have no complaints about their start to the second half with the the Hoops doubling their advantage with just over 60 seconds played after the restart. 

Zac McEachran turned nicely before making his way into the box and poking home a neat finish for 2-0.

In the 67th minute, the visitors spurned a golden opportunity to get themselves back into the game via the penalty spot when Stefan Payne was felled in the box by Lewis Coyle – Maloney stepped up for the honours, but Kanuric got down well to his right to keep the spot-kick out. 

The Wings failed to muster any real opportunities for the remainder of the game, while the home side wasted a couple of chances to make the points safe with Lolos firing straight at Roberts and Aaron Williams-Bushell drew a good save from the on-loan custodian. 

And with five minutes remaining, Roberts pulled off his best save of the afternoon, flying to his right to keep out Josh Parker’s free-kick which was bound for the top left-hand corner. 

The damage had already been done, however, and a third would be added in injury time when Parker slotted home one-on-one.

Welling now have a week to lick their wounds and prepare for a third away game on the spin with a trip to Slough Town. 

Oxford City: Kanuric, Miccio, Ashby, Burley, Coyle, Fleet, McEachran, Lolos, Parker, Williams-Bushell, Carroll. 

Subs (not used): Grantham, Davies, Laciofano, Carbon, Humphrey- Ewers. 

Goals: Lolos 33, McEachran 47, Parker 90+1

Welling United: Roberts, Barnes (Kassarate 72), Lyons-Foster, Sendles-White, Ezennolim, Dunne, Elito, Maloney  (Lisbie 81), Payne, Alexander (Gavin 55), Azeez. 

Subs (not used): McKenzie-Lyle, Parry. 

Booked: Dunne 24 (foul on Fleet), Lyons-Foster 50 (foul on Parker)

Referee: Ross Martin

Att: 560