Welling United slipped to a 3-2 defeat in a topsy-turvy game at Chippenham Town on Tuesday evening. 

The Wings went ahead through Taylor Maloney, before the hosts turned things around before half-time to get themselves 2-1 in front. 

Warren Feeney’s men reacted after the break to deservedly draw level from the spot as Maloney bagged his second of the evening, but a goal against the run of play with 18 minutes left condemned Welling to a trip back down the M4 empty handed. 

The visitors started brightly with Dylan Gavin coming close early on with an effort dragged just past the post, before the Wings nudged ahead with just 10 minutes gone. 

Christie Pattisson showed good feet on the right-hand side of the box before clipping in a pinpoint cross towards the back stick where Maloney obliged with a brilliant first-time volley which nestled in the net. 

It would not be long, however, before the Bluebirds would react, pulling themselves level on 15 minutes through Joe Parker, who squeezed a shot inside the post despite Yusuf Mersin’s best efforts. 

With the scores level, there was a big shout for a Welling penalty when Chi Ezennolim’s cross looked to have hit a blue hand in the box, but the referee waved away the appeals and the hosts were soon ahead. 

25 minutes were on the clock when Matt McClure sneaked around the back of the Wings’ defence and sent a smart finish past Mersin to put his side in front. 

With the home suddenly playing with confidence, they very nearly got a third before the break when McClure looked to sneak a clever volley past Mersin which, thankfully, bounced just past the post. 

Having started the first half in positive fashion, Welling repeated the feat after the break with Maloney securing his brace from the penalty spot to draw level. 

It came from another Ezennolim cross which struck the hand of a grounded Chippenham defender and, this time, the referee did not hesitate in pointing to the spot. 

Maloney stepped up and struck his spot-kick low and hard to the left of Will Henry who got a hand to it, but could not stop it from making it 2-2 as the Wings midfielder celebrated his 11th goal of the campaign. 

Welling were enjoying the better of the second half and threatened a third on 65 minutes when Cameron Andrews slipped in Dylan Gavin who smashed a good-looking shot into the side-netting. 

The Wings were chugging along nicely, but suffered a blow in the 71st minute when goalscorer Maloney was forced off with an injury and it appeared to be a turning point, with Chippenham regaining the lead a minute later against the run of play. 

Substitute Ed Williams got into the left of the box and slotted home a firm finish into the bottom right-hand corner to make it 3-2. 

Welling went in search of an equaliser but it would prove to be elusive, with Kyrell Lisbie’s late effort saved by Henry to leave the Londoners frustrated. 

The Wings will have to dust themselves off and go again on Saturday with Hampton & Richmond Borough the visitors to Park View Road. 

Chippenham Town: Henry, Hamilton (Jones 55), Tomlinson, Richards, Mehew, McClure (Hanks 62), Windsor, Bradbury (Williams 37), Parker, Russe, King. 

Subs (not used): D’Abadia, Bray.

Booked: Hamilton 18 (foul on Maloney), Hanks 90+3 (foul on Lisbie)

Goals: Parker 15, McClure 25, Williams 72

Welling United: Mersin, Howard, Lyons-Foster, Sendles-White, Ezennolim, Parry, Dunne, Andrews (Lisbie 82), Maloney (Barnes 71), Gavin, Azeez. 

Subs (not used): Curran, Papadopoulos, Vendrells-Parcerisa. 

Booked: Howard 41 (foul on Mehew)

Goals: Maloney 10, 53 (pen)

Referee: Liam Corbett

Att: 547