Welling United gained a point on the road as they played out a goalless stalemate with Hungerford Town at Bulpit Lane on Saturday. 

Despite a positive showing in the first half, clear-cut chances were few and far between and the visitors would be forced to share the spoils with Warren Feeney’s men taking a point back to Kent. 

It was the Wings who got on top in the early exchanges as they shot downhill on the sloped pitch on a chilly afternoon in Berkshire. 

Christie Pattisson saw a volley blocked by a fantastic block by Matt Berry-Hargreaves in the box with nine minutes gone, but the Hungerford defender could perhaps count himself lucky to still be on the pitch having been involved in an incident after just four minutes. 

Over on the touchline, he appeared to have pushed George Alexander into the hoardings, leaving the Bromley loanee hurt, but after discussions with his assistants, the referee produced a yellow card. 

Alexander headed straight at stopper Jed Ward, while the lively Pattisson saw a shot well-blocked as Welling continued to push and they came inches away from taking the lead on 34 minutes when Chi Ezennolim cut back for Medy Elito, whose shot took a wicked deflection and bounced agonisingly wide. 

The home side did come close before the half-time whistle when Dylan Adjei-Hersey spun on the edge of the box and fired just wide of the left-hand upright, but it was the Wings who could be more pleased with their efforts in the first 45. 

Four minutes after the restart, Pattisson threatened again when he raided off a fine passing move by firing Ezennolim’s cross into the side-netting. 

Pattisson had been impressive throughout, so it was a particular blow when he was forced off midway through the second half with what looked like a hamstring injury, with the returning Taylor Maloney taking his place. 

As the second half wore on, the hosts, fighting for their lives to stave off the threat of relegation, began to get a stronger footing on the game. 

With 11 minutes remaining, Myles Roberts pulled off a stunning save to keep out the Crusaders, reacting brilliantly to keep out Jerry Gyebi’s snapshot at his near post. 

And five minutes later, a huge chance came and went for Hungerford as Adjei-Hersey fired over from a great position, unmarked in the box. 

As it was, a point apiece was probably a fair reflection on the overall balance of play and the Wings will now prepare for another trip on the road, with a visit to Farnborough on Tuesday night. 

Hungerford Town: J Ward, McGrory, Gunner, J Evans (Rollinson 37), G Evans (Ilic 89), C Ward, Berry-Hargreaves, Tyler, Adjei-Hersey, Gyebi, Jones. 

Subs (not used): Delaney, Smith, Bailey. 

Booked: Berry-Hargreaves 4 (foul on Alexander), Gyebi 57 (foul on Payne)

Welling United: Roberts, Howard (Cox 74), Sendles-White, Lyons-Foster, Ezennolim, Dunne, Elito, Pattisson (Maloney 66), Payne, Alexander  (Papadopoulos 81), Azeez. 

Subs (not used): McKenzie-Lyle, Parry. 

Booked: Dunne 43 (foul on Adjei-Hersey)

Referee: Robert Ablitt 

Att: 461