10-men Welling United endured another frustrating afternoon at home as they fell to defeat to Concord Rangers. 

Despite dominating the first half, the Wings suffered a disastrous start to the second period, going behind within seconds, before Sam Cox was sent off shortly after for a second yellow card, giving the hosts an almighty mountain to climb. 

After a fairly even opening 15 minutes, the home side started to get on top as the half progressed. 

Aaron Barnes saw a shot blocked on the edge of the box, while Taylor Maloney’s placed shot, bound for the bottom left-hand corner, was hacked clear. 

Amadou Kassarate tested stopper Mitch Beeney at his near post with a stinging effort shortly after and Stefan Payne fired wide from 20 yards as Welling looked to turn the screw with Sam Cox’s driven shot in the box blocked, leading to Kassarate firing a follow-up over the bar. 

The Wings continued to look the more likely and came close again when Azeez headed over from Barnes’ cross while Maloney slashed a shot just wide in first-half injury time as the hosts went in goalless. 

Despite aa positive enough first half, the second started in polar opposite fashion as the Wings would find themselves a goal and a player down within minutes. 

Just 25 seconds after the restart, the ball fell for Beach Boys forward Mo Bettamer, who powered home from just inside the box for the visitors. 

And things went from bad to worse two minutes later when Welling were reduced to 10 men. 

With Cox already on a booking, he was adjudged, somewhat harshly, to have caught Hernandez as he looked to clear a loose ball, and the referee reached to his pocket to give the full-back his marching orders. 

The Wings had to regain their composure and, after a double switch saw Antony Papadopoulos and George Alexander enter the fray, they regained a foothold on the game as they went in search of a leveller. 

The home side enjoyed plenty of possession as they looked to push forward, but were being left frustrated by the Concord rear guard, while gamesmanship at every opportunity ensured the clock would be played down with little football being played in the latter stages. 

Payne saw a shot blocked deep in injury time, before having another effort saved by Mitch Beeney, but it would not be enough. 

Welling will now have to dust themselves off and go again in the league with a trip to Weymouth next weekend, while Tuesday evening’s Kent Senior Cup visit to Ebbsfleet United may prove to be a welcome distraction as they look to get back on track. 

Welling United: Roberts, Cox, Lyons-Foster, Lyons-Foster, Ezennolim, Dunne, Kassarate, Barnes (Parry 73), Maloney (Papadopoulos 59), Payne, Azeez (Alexander 60). 

Subs (not used): McKenzie-Lyle, Curran.

Booked: Kassarate 89 (foul on Thomas)

Sent off: Cox 48 (second-bookable offence)

Concord Rangers: Beeney, Popo, Thomas, Pollock, Monville, Better, Kyei (Modeste 76), Steward, Manor, Hudson, Hernandez (Williamson 70). 

Subs (not used): Blanchfield, Ogunwamide, Campbell. 

Booked: Hernandez 28 (foul on Cox)

Referee: Steven Hughes

Att: 579