Welling United bowed out of the London Senior Cup with a penalty shootout defeat to Charlton Athletic’s U21s on Tuesday evening, despite a spirited showing at Park View Road. 

The youthful Wings side gave an excellent account of themselves throughout and, in the first 45, enjoyed the better of the half against their near neighbours. 

With six minutes gone, Antony Papadopoulos closed down goalkeeper Nathan Harness with the ball bouncing narrowly wide and it set the tone somewhat for the first period. 

Kyrell Lisbie’s mazy run resulted in his effort being blocked behind for a corner, while Papdopoulos showed excellent feet in the box before drawing a good save from Harness at his near post as the Wings continued to look the more likely. 

For their part, Charlton saw Daniel Kanu drag wide, while Euan Williams missed a glorious chance to pen the scoring, sending a free header inches past the post. 

The Wings had the ball in the net early in the second half when Lisbie finished well, but his joy was cut short by the linesman’s flag. 

Welling made some changes to protect first-teamers ahead of the busy schedule going up with Cameron Andrews and Medy Elito making way and, with 65 minutes on the clock, the visitors took the lead. 

A set-piece into the box was half-cleared before eventually falling to Nasir Bakrin, who headed in off the far post. 

The Wings nearly responded immediately as Amadou Kassarate played in Oliver Godziemski with a clever pass over the top – the youngster did well to square to fellow sub Enoch Muwonge who scrambled a shot past Harness, only for it to be hacked off the line by a covering Addicks defender. 

Welling would not be denied, however, and bagged a deserved leveller with just four minutes remaining and did so in style. 

Papadopoulos sent a firm shot from the edge of the box off the post and into the back of the net to spark wild celebrations at the park end. 

As the clock ticked over into the 90th minute, the Wings very nearly won it when a corner fell to Donald Macauley, but the defender could only poke his effort agonisingly over the bar. 

And so to penalties and the Addicks scored their first through Tolu Ladapo, while Amadou Kassarate followed suit for the Wings. 

Jeremy Santos then missed for Charlton, but Welling could not take advantage with Papadopoulos seeing his spot-kick saved. 

Karoy Anderson and Euan Williams scored for the Addicks, while Namory Kane scored for Welling, but with Sam Bayford missing the Wings’ fourth, it was left to Jason Adigun to score the winner and send Charlton through to the quarter-finals. 

Welling United: Pitterson, Lugboso, Kane, Church, Andrews (Bamford 56), Macauley, Kassarate, Papadopoulos, Elito (Godziemski 46), Vendrells-Parcerisa (Muwonge 68), Lisbie (Osel 68). 

Goal: Papadopoulos 86

Penalties: Kassarate (scored), Papadopoulos (saved), Kane (scored), Bayford (missed)

Charlton: Harness, Roddy (French 80), Anderson, O’Connor (Dench 49), Bakrin, Santos, Adigun, Kanu (Assimwe 61), Williams, Ladapo, Kane (Enslin 61). 

Subs (not used): Kone. 

Booked: Bayford 76 (foul on Santos)

Goal: Bakrin 65

Penalties: Ladapo (scored), Santos (missed), Anderson (scored), Williams (scored), Adigun (scored)

Referee: George William

Att: 461