Welling United rounded off the Easter weekend with a 1-0 victory over Eastbourne Borough at Park View Road on Monday afternoon. 

Christie Pattisson’s first-half screamer proved to be the difference as the Wings claimed a second home win on the spin. 

After the game survived the morning rain following a lunch-time pitch inspection, the sun beat down on DA16 during a first half which saw the Wings impress against the play-off hopefuls. 

Welling came close to an opener on 14 minutes following great work down the right from Rob Howard, who cut in from the right and pulled back for the returning Stefan Payne, who saw his shot saved by Lee Worgan. With the ball spilling free, James Dunne was on hand to try and turn in the rebound, but the keeper recovered well to keep him out. 

At the other end moments later, Eastbourne, who had earlier seen a Shiloh Remy effort well saved from Kai McKenzie-Lyle, missed a gilt-edge opportunity through Leone Gravata, who volleyed well over from 10 yards in an inviting and unmarked position in the box. 

With 18 minutes on the clock, the hosts took the lead in some style. 

Pattisson, who was proving to be a thorn in Eastbourne’s side, jinked to the left some 25 yards from goal before unleashing an unstoppable effort which caught Worgan cold and nestled just inside the right-hand upright.  

The Wings came close to a second on the half-hour mark from a cleverly-worked corner routine. Medy Elito’s delivery was flicked on by Dunne on the edge of the box for the waiting Dylan Gavin, whose looping volley was tipped from under the bar by Worgan. 

Gavin was again thwarted by Worgan five minutes later, this time via a header, and the Irish Charlton Athletic loanee was involved again shortly after when he had a great shout for a penalty turned down after he was clipped from behind by Ryan Bartley in the box.

There was still time before the break for Pattisson to cause more havoc and come close to a second when he showed brilliant feet again on the right-hand side and cutting in to see his deflected shot tipped wide. 

The visitors also came close before half-time when Jaden Perez hit the outside of the post from distance and the midfielder repeated the feat early in the second half, this time coming slightly closer from a similar distance with his effort bouncing straight back off the right-hand upright. 

The second period was somewhat more cagey as the two sides battled it out in midfield, while the Wings looked to manage the lead they possessed. 

Pattisson was continuing to cause Eastbourne a world of trouble down the right and he did so again just after the hour-mark to tee up Payne, whose shot was blocked behind for a corner. 

In truth, Welling defended astutely and limited their visitors to speculative shots from distance which McKenzie-Lyle was happy to deal with, including a 25-yard free-kick from Morgan Williams which he marshalled safely over the bar. 

Worgan had been kept busy at the other end throughout the afternoon and he was called into action four minutes from time to deal with Payne’s bobbling low effort, keeping the Wings’ lead to one. 

Eastbourne’s best opening of the half came in the 89th minute when Remy was played into the box, but could only hit a tame effort which McKenzie-Lyle was equal to.

Indeed, it was a well-deserved victory for Welling, who celebrate the Easter weekend with four points under their belts. 

Welling United: McKenzie-Lyle, Howard, Lyons-Foster, Sendles-White, Barnes, Parry, Dunne, Elito (Cox 78), Pattisson (Lisbie 90+5), Payne, Gavin (Nkrumah 46). 

Subs (not used): Azeez, Andrews. 

Booked: Howard 54 (time wasting)

Goal: Pattisson 18

Eastbourne Borough: Worgan, Innocent, Barry, Dickenson, Bartley, Perez, Vaughan (Williams 72), Yila (Whelpdale 69), Remy, Pearce, Gravata (Beckford 64). 

Subs (not used): Burchell, Wabo. 

Referee: Aaron Farmer

Att: 465