First Team
National League South Sat 19 August Cygnet Health Care Stadium
Taunton Town
Welling Utd

Welling United’s wait for their first points of the season continues after a frustrating defeat at Taunton Town on Saturday afternoon.

Despite dominating for the vast majority of the game, the Wings just could not convert their chances as they came up against a formidable defence and outstanding Peacocks goalkeeping performance, while they were also made to rue a missed penalty for the second time in four days.

The Wings got off to a slow start in the Somerset sunshine, falling behind with 11 minutes on the clock.

Although the visitors looked in little danger when Nick McCootie picked up possession on the edge of the box, the burly Peacocks forward turned Taofiq Olomowewe with eased and sent a finish into the bottom corner to put the hosts in the driving seat.

In search of a leveller, Welling came close when Jepthe Tanga found Antony Papadopoulos with a cross, although James Vaughan was lurking just behind in a better position at the back stick, while Cameron Green followed up with an effort over the bar from inside the box.

The Wings began to grow into the half and enjoyed the lions’ share of possession, but could not quite break down the opposition in the final third.

Five minutes before the break, the visitors were presented with a golden opportunity to draw level from the penalty spot when Taofiq Olomowewe was felled in the box by Peacock skipper Nick Grimes.

But, for the second game running, it was an opportunity wasted – Papadopoulos stepped up and saw his effort from 12 yards saved by Dan Lavercombe.

Moments later, Papadopoulos tried his luck from 25 yards instead and came closer, rattling the crossbar with an outstanding effort.

An in first-half injury-time, Papadopoulos would see another shot snuffed out by a decent block in the box as Welling headed for the dressing rooms frustrated at the break.

Welling continued to play the better football after the restart as they laboured for a way back into the game.

Jack Burchell came so close to an equaliser on 56 minutes when he did well to work his way into the left-hand side of the box before forcing Lavercombe into an outstanding save with his shot heading for the top right-hand corner.

Lavercombe was becoming the hero of the piece for the home side and proved to be, once again, on 66 minutes when he kept out David Kamara.

The academy graduate showed a fantastic first touch to turn in the box and open the chance up for himself, but saw his shot well saved, before he sent his follow-up wide.

Danny Bloor shuffled his pack as he looked to turn his side’s possession into a goal, with Lewis White and Kain Adom both entering the fray.

White saw a shot saved by Lavercombe, before the debutant fired another pair of efforts over as the Wings were left frustrated.

It was another case of Welling, perhaps, not quite getting what they deserved from their efforts and they will have to go again in search of their first points of the season at home to Havant & Waterlooville next Saturday.

Taunton Town: Lavercombe, Grimes, Booth, James, MCootie (Guest 63), Stearn, Smith, Evans, Day, Morgan (Grubb 79), Lucas.

Subs (not used): Irish, Minzamba, Sims-Burgess.

Booked: Stearn 8 (foul on Burchell), Smith 45+1 (foul on Tanga), Grimes 48 (foul on Kamara 48), James 72 (foul on Odusanya)

Goal: McCootie 11

Welling United: Winterbottom, Byrd, Olomowewe (Lema 46), Burchell, Green, Tanga, Vaughan, Odusanya, Wood (Adom 58), Papadopoulos, Kamara (White 68).

Subs (not used): Andrews, Isiaka.

Booked: Odusanya 45+2 (foul on McCootie)

Referee: Liam Corbett

Att: TBC