Welling United’s youngsters booked their place in the third qualifying round of the FA Youth Cup with a 3-0 victory over Ebbsfleet United at the J Hearnden Skip Hire Community Stadium on Thursday evening.

A keenly-contested first half saw both sides hit the woodwork – the Wings going first with Mecca Maxime Samuels clipping the top of the bar with a decent drive, before Max Shoolbred hit the left-hand upright at the other end.

As the half wore on, it was Welling who started to look the more likely, coming close again via efforts from Charlie Connell and David Kamara before the academy graduate striker opened the scoring just before the break.

Keeping his cool with the ball at his feet in front of goal, he picked his spot and slotted into the bottom left-hand corner.

Five minutes into the second half, the young Wings doubled their lead in somewhat fortuitous fashion. Antonio Morgan looked to send in a deep cross from the left, only to completely catch out the goalkeeper who could only watch it fly straight into the net.

Welling’s youngsters were looking comfortable and any forthcoming pressure was eased in the 55th minute when the visitors were reduced to 10 men.

Having been booked in the first half for getting in the way of keeper Archie Aldous’ kick, Tristan Lock was given a second yellow card for throwing the ball, giving the referee no choice but to give him his marching orders.

With that, the hosts eased towards the final whistle. They could have added a third when Connell clipped a shot past the keeper, only for it to skim the post.

Come the fifth minute of injury-time, however, the Wings did add a third to add the cherry on top when sub Ollie Godziemski danced into the box on the left and slotted home from a tight angle to score with what proved to be the very last kick of the game.

Welling will now wait to see who they will face in the final qualifying round of the competition as they look to reach the first round proper.

Welling United: Aldous, Moore, Omoregie, Freeman, Akinwunmi, Elliot (Slater 65), Connell, Ward (Nyako 71), Morgan, Samuels (Godziemski 46), Kamara.

Subs (not used): Finlay, Baker, Campbell, McCarthy.

Goals: Kamara 44, Morgan 50, Godziemski 55

Ebbsfleet United: Abnett, Shoolbred, Kalagbor, Umar (Anderson 57), Wilson, Buchanan, Talbott (Edward 65), Nkounkou (Rai 46), Karim, Lock, Cain.

Subs (not used): Krzewina, Gowdie, Braimer, Maglione.

Booked: Cain 11 (foul on Morgan)

Sent off: Lock 55 (second-bookable)

Referee: Kennedy Kikulwe


(Photo: Dave Budden)