First Team
London Senior Cup First round Mon 30 October Coles Park
New Salamis
Welling Utd

Welling United secured their place in the second round of the London Senior Cup with a 2-1 victory over New Salamis at Coles Park on Monday evening.

Despite missing a first-half penalty and falling behind early in the second half, the Wings broke through the hosts’ defence with a pair of penalties courtesy of Enoch Muwonge to win through to the next round.

Although the visitors controlled proceedings in the first half, they came up against a stubborn New Salamis defence, who managed to shut them throughout the first 45.

David Kamara flicked an effort off the post with his back to goal with 16 minutes gone and the academy graduate had a golden opportunity to put his side ahead from the spot nine minutes later.

Enoch Muwonge was tripped in the box by Panayiotis Boxer as he looked to get on the end of a lofted ball, leaving Kamara to take the responsibilities from 12 yards. Unfortunately, Reuben Rabstein guessed the right way to keep him out.

The Wings kept knocking on the door with Will Wood coming close with a good-looking, low effort from 12 yards, while Muwonge stung the palms of Rabstein late in the half, but the sides headed for the dressing rooms goalless at the break.

Welling were made to rue not making their first-half dominance count when they were stunned just 45 seconds after the restart as New Salamis took an unlikely lead.

Indeed, it came in spectacular fashion with Micah Jackson finding the net with a low drive from 25 yards.

The Wings continued to find a way through and, just before the hour mark, they were given another chance to convert from the penalty spot – Muwonge once again was the man to win it, doing brilliantly to wrestle his way into the box, beating a number of grey shirts along the way before finally being hauled down.

The youngster dusted himself down to take this one himself and did so with aplomb, smashing his penalty past Rabstein to draw his side level.

Welling continued to dominate possession throughout the half, but clear-cut chances were few and far between as the hosts, to their credit, remained difficult to penetrate.

But just as it looked like it would be heading to a penalty shootout, it would be yet another Welling  penalty that would decide the game as the clock hit 90.

Muwonge, yet again, proved to be too hot to handle for the New Salamis defence as he was felled in the box for a third time and diid not hesitate to pick the ball up again for his chance to win the game.

And he made no mistake, dispatching his penalty to secure his brace and send the Wings through to the second round of the competition where they will meet either Charlton Athletic U21s or Cockfosters.

New Salamis: Rabstein, Lambrou (Tayaca 58), Batzelis (Okunwobi 71), Poyraz (T Williams 71), P Boxer, Arioglu, Buyei, Lynch, Jackson, Chingokwa (E Williams 63), Hercules.

Subs (not used): T Boxer.

Booked: Chingokwa 38 (foul on Wood), P Boxer 48 (time wasting)

Goal: Jackson 46

Welling United: Pitterson, Otsem-Taiwo (Okunola 60), Curran, Macaulay, Wood, Bayford, Bramble, White, Muwonge, Papdopolous, Kamara.

Subs (not used): Lema, (Heywood-Oriogun 46), Burchell, Byrd.

Booked: Wood 38 (unsporting behaviour), Curran 90+1 (unsporting behaviour)

Goal: Muwonge 58 (pen), 90 (pen)