First Team
National League South Sat 16 December J Hearnden Skip Hire Community Stadium
Welling Utd
Eastbourne Boro

Welling United fell to defeat to Eastbourne Borough at the J Hearnden Skip Hire Community Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Two goals from the visitors against the run of play, either side of half-time, ensured that the Wings would be punished for missed opportunities on what was a frustrating outing for Danny Bloor’s men.

A fairly even first 45 saw the Wings begin to enjoy the better of the action as the half wore on.

Tristan Abrahams had a goal ruled out for a tight offside on the half-hour mark after he was played through by a neat Antony Papadopoulos through-ball, before the home side came close again, twice in quick succession.

First, Papadopoulos’ shot was parried by keeper Harrison Foulkes as far as Jephte Tanga, whose shot was somehow cleared off the line by a recovering defender.

Then, Foulkes pulled off a fine save to claw Lachlan Byrd’s half-volley, which was heading straight for the top right-hand corner, over the bar.

But just as Welling were getting a real foothold on proceedings, Eastbourne took the lead against the run of play with their first real effort of the afternoon.

A deep corner was headed back into the six-yard box where Freddie Carter was on hand to nod home, giving his side a one-goal advantage just before the break.

Despite the Wings’ promising play in the first half, they would find themselves two goals behind early in the second, with the visitors doubling their lead on 53 minutes via a Callum Kealy finish, finding the bottom left-hand corner with an effort from just inside the box.

With 61 minutes gone, a big chance came and went for Welling when another initial shot was only parried by Foulkes once again.

Falling to Tanga once again on the rebound in a good position, the Leyton Orient loanee could not capitalise, sending his effort wide.

Shortly after, Cameron Green tested Foulkes with a decent free-kick which was heading for the bottom corner, but the Eastbourne stopper got down well.

The Wings continued to huff and puff but just could not find a way to get themselves back into the game, despite continuing to look the better side.

Byrd placed a volley wide while sub Enoch Muwonge battled into the box before firing over.

In the 83rd minute, there was a big shout for a penalty when an Eastbourne defender appeared to have handled in the box, but the appeals were waved away, punctuating a frustrating afternoon in DA16 for Welling.

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Orji, Byrd, Bramble, Green, Tanga (Muwonge 77), Grant, Odusanya, Adom, Papadopoulos (Roscrow 67), Abrahams.

Subs (not used): Pitterson, Curran, Kassarate.

Booked: Odusanya 57 (dissent), Orji 63 (dissent), Abrahams 84 (dissent).

Eastbourne Borough: Foulkes, Barry, Clarke (Brown 79), Paxman, Sheriff, Carter, Collins, Vigar, Beard, Kealy, Sesay (Gbadebo 26 (Gravata 45+7)).

Booked: Barry 57 (foul on Tanga), Paxman 64 (foul on Orji), Kealy 71 (foul on Grant), Carter 73 (foul on Roscrow), Gravata 88 (time wasting), Beard 90+6 (foul on Grant).

Subs (not used): Procter, Holman.

Goals: Carter 42, Kealy 53

Referee: George Laflin

Att: 909