First Team
National League South Sat 23 March Hardenhuish Park
Welling Utd

Welling United slipped to just their second defeat in 13 outings at Chippenham Town on Saturday afternoon.

The Wings dominated proceedings in the first half and took a deserved lead into half-time thanks to Jack Burchell’s early opener, but two freak goals out of nowhere in the second half turned things around for the hosts, before they added two more late on to put a final nail in Welling’s coffiin.

Despite the visitors’ late arrival leading to a delayed kick-off in the west country, the Wings took control of the first half, dominating the first 45 minutes to take a one-goal lead into the break.

David Amoo, making his full debut for Welling, got away the first shot of the afternoon, testing keeper Will Henry with a decent low effort.

And before long, the Wings would be ahead, taking the lead with 10 minutes on the clock.

A well-worked set-piece saw Cameron Green’s corner delivery get nodded back across the six-yard box by Riccardo DiTrolio  for Jack Burchell to turn it home.

It remained somewhat quiet following that, with the lively Jason Adigun firing straight at Henry, before Sonny Fish skimming a shot o ver the bar from the edge of the box, but the visitors would sail through to half-time somewhat comfortably.

The home side came out slightly stronger as they attacked downhill after the restart as a pair of half-chances came and went before they did eventually find a leveller which came completely out of the blue.

Bluebirds defender Luke Haines picked up possession some 30 yards from goal and pulled the trigger on a shot which dipped into the left-hand side of the net, keeping Reice Charles-Cook rooted to the spot.

If the equaliser was plucked from nowhere, the hosts’ next goal was a complete surprise to everyone in the ground, including the goalscorer himself.

Tyreke Johnson looked to get the ball in the box from the left wing, over-hitting somewhat, only for the wind to take it straight into the top right-hand corner to complete a turnaround with two goals in seven minutes.

The Wings looked to find a way back, but could not combat Chippenham’s momentum, conceding a third with nine minutes to go as Tom Owen-Evans smashed in a powerful effort inside the box, before Johnson secured a brace by popping up at the back post in the 89th minute to compound a frustrating afternoon for Rod Stringer’s men.

Welling will now prepare for a Good Friday meeting with Dover Athletic in DA16 to kick-off an Easter bank holiday double-header.

Chippenham Town: Henry, Fasanmade, Amadi-Holloway (Hewlett 80), Haines, Johnson (Bray 90+2), McClure (E Williams 70), Owen-Evans, Mehew, Spokes, Ellison, King.

Subs (not used): Jones, N Williams.

Booked: McClure 20 (foul on Burchell)

Goals: Haines 66, Johnson 73, 89, Owen-Evans 81.

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Johnson (Lema 74), Byrd, Burchell, Di Trolio, Green, A Grant (R Grant 77), Adigun, Papadopoulos, Amoo (Kennedy 71), Fish.

Subs (not used): Pitterson, Ellul.

Booked: Di Trolio 45+1 (foul on King)

Goal: Burchell 10

Referee: Jonathan Chadwick

Att: 738