First Team
National League South Tue 5 March Saunders Transport Community Stadium
Welling Utd

Welling United slipped to their first defeat in nine league games as Farnborough claimed a 1-0 victory at the Saunders Transport Community Stadium on Tuesday evening.

It was the home side that started the stronger as they enjoyed the majority of the early possession, while Guy Hollis’ long-throws were proving to be a thorn in the Wings’ side throughout the half.

Reice Charles-Cook was forced to tip Olly Pendlebury’s header over the bar from yet another troublesome throw-in as the visitors found themselves on the back foot.

Indeed, it was a long throw which undid Welling before half-time as Hollis hurled the ball into the box with it eventually falling to Aaron Kuhl who turned it home to put Farnborough in front.

The Wings struggled to create anything meaningful in the opening 45 with the final ball just letting them down, although Gene Kennedy’s curling cross towards the back post very nearly found the advancing Cameron Green, with it only just evading him.

Welling looked to show an immediate reaction in the second half and carved out an opening just 10 seconds after the restart, with Sonny Fish seeing a shot blocked in the box to force a corner.

Rod Stringer’s men were starting to look more likely, but chances were coming and going without the ball nestling in the net.

With 25 minutes remaining the ball was nodded down to Lachlan Byrd six yards from goal, only for his effort to be blocked at point-blank range.

Moment later, the Wings hit the woodwork with Green turning well in the box before seeing his shot bounce back off the right-hand post, while Reece Grant put the rebound over.

On 70 minutes, another decent chance fell to Byrd, this time from a Green cross which was flashed into the box to find the Aussie defender unmarked, eight yards out, but he sent his header over the bar.

The visitors were continuing the turn the screw as Jason Adigun’s decent-looking piledriver dipped just over from distance while, at the other end, Kuhl sent a bouncing shot just wide of the post during what was a rare second-half foray forward for the home side.

For all of their second-half efforts, Welling just could not find that elusive leveller and they will now dust themselves off and prepare for another trip on the road on Saturday, with league-leaders Yeovil Town lying in wait.

Farnborough: Turner, Norville-Williams, Fearn, Hollis, Pruti, Young, Pendlebury, Kasimu (Bradbury 68), Saied (Holmes 68), Kuhl, Matthews-Lewis (Clark 78).

Subs (not used): Robinson, Haigh.

Booked: Pruti 31 (foul on Fish), Fearn 45+2 (foul on Fish), Pendlebury 79 (foul on Di Trolio)

Goal: Kuhl 40

Welling United: Charles-Cook, Lema, Byrd, Ellul, Di Trolio, Green (Foyo 83), A Grant (Papadopoulos 83), Kennedy, Adigun, R Grant, Fish (Johnson 83).

Subs (not used): Burchell, Holness.

Booked: Adigun 31 (foul)

Referee: Tommy Breen

Att: 574